August 2015 Monique Janmaat organized a follow up of the Appreciative Inquiry retreat held in sept. 2014 for the regional Steering Committee of the Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Plan of Action.
The main objective of the workshop was to strengthen the National Coordination Committee to carry out its responsibilities successfully.
This was achieved through:
- Reflecting on the recent past
- Revisiting roles and responsibilities and membership of the Committee and its sub committees and developing final versions of the ToR’s
- Developing an common action plan for the Committee and the 6 strategies of the Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Plan of Action
- Developing a coherent national coordination, through a backbone structure (e.g. communication, monitoring/learning and reporting mechanism)
- Participants were all key stakeholders involved in the pharmaceutical industry such as federation of Kenyan pharmaceutical manufacturers, Kenyan Association of Manufacturers, Nairobi University, Pharmaceutical Procurement Board, Ministry of Industrialisation and Enterprise Development among many others.
- Clear terms of Reference for the National Steering Committee as well as confirmed members and co-opted members. The Steering Committee will function as a backbone structure to support implementation of the plan and create impact on the health situation in Kenya and the region through access of affordable locally produced quality medicines
- Monitored progress on the 6 strategies of the pharmaceutical manufacturing plan of action
- Action plans for all 6 strategies
- Action plan for the National Steering Committee
The participants were introduced to online platforms to support their communication, exchange, learning etc. Two days after the retreat an online platform was activated and all members are actively using it to share information, update each other and manage their respective projects.
the retreat was refreshing, it was delivering a message which was difficult to deliver……it was combining learning and work at the same time, every participant was fully engaged, it created comradeship and ensured what was planned was practical and owned by individuals involved.
Ministry of Industrialisation and Enterprise Development